Monday 30 January 2012

Stuff I Love...Coconut Body Lotion

Let's face it, our winter = dry skin!  Lotion is a must.  But it is so important to use a healthy lotion.  Your skin is your largest organ and anything that absorbs through it gains access to your bloodstream and beyond - similar to if you ingested it!  That's why I don't put anything on my skin that I couldn't eat.  There are lots of nasty chemicals and toxins in most cosmetics and lotions that many people use. With daily frequency, these toxins easily build up in the body - not good.  I'm going to continue to share my favorite products with you here on the blog.  You can simply use good organic coconut oil on your skin if you like - the same kind you should be cooking with.  It works great and is super safe.  But I also like this coconut lotion by Desert Essence.  It works really well and smells yummy.  Above all it's paraben free.  Parabens are preservatives in many cosmetics that are what we call "xenoestrogens" - things that act like estrogen in our bodies.  They have been closely linked to cancer and other health problems (not to mention increased fat accumulation around the hips and thighs for both women and men and the dreaded "man boobs" in men!).  Look at all of your lotions and cosmetics and discontinue using them immediately if you see the word paraben linked to any prefix (methyl, poly, etc.).  Many companies are realizing that consumers do not want to use their products if they contain toxins, yet it can still be difficult to find a good variety of cosmetics that are healthy.  The more we demand them (vote with your wallet!) the more variety we will begin to see.  Look beautiful - Be healthy!

Love it!

P.S. - Hydration and food nutrients play a huge role in the look, feel and texture of your skin.  Be sure to include Omega 3 Fatty Acids in your diet daily as well as lots of veggies (high in antioxidants).  I've noticed my skin looks more radiant since I've been drinking my "green monster" veggie shake every morning and I also try to drink at least 3 L of H20 daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment