Sunday 3 March 2013

Breakfast Series: Salad for breakfast?

The number one question I get about nutrition is "what can I eat for breakfast?".  I get it - when you decide to eliminate the nutritionally useless and physically damaging "typical" breakfast foods like cereal, muffins, toast, oatmeal, waffles, etc, it does seem at first, that there is not much left to have in the morning other than eggs everyday.  This is so NOT true!  We need to begin to consider ALL foods as breakfast foods.  We are the ones who decided to categorise foods into which is appropriate for what time of day - your body doesn't care if its labelled a "breakfast food" or not! On the contrary - when you begin to eat nutritionally dense foods that do not cause an insulin spike and the resulting blood sugar crash, you will be more successful with good nutrition and have increased energy all day long.

I will show you my breakfast from everyday last week here on the blog each day this week.  Lets start with Salad for Breakfast.  It may sound crazy but let me share a few ideas with you.  Trust me, its only your head holding you back from really enjoying a yummy healthy salad first thing in the morning.

I had the salad in the picture to the right. ---->
Romaine, spinach, cucumbers, red pepper, pecans, and goat cheese with a homemade balsamic and olive oil dressing. Notice the size of my bowl :)  It's a serving bowl!  Lots of greens will fill you up. You could also add a hard boiled egg or two for some extra protein if you wanted.

Another breakfast salad idea:
Slice the hard boiled eggs into the salad with romaine, spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado slices and a sprinkle of shredded unpasteurised organic Canadian cheddar.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment