Sunday 18 August 2013

Almond flour cake/cupcakes

I've served this to a few friends lately and I keep getting asked for the recipe - so here you go!
It's my go to recipe when I want to make a treat for someone or a party/Christmas etc. I just tweak it a little for the occasion.  You can do it in a cake form or as cupcakes. I keep the cupcakes plain, then make either a maple cream cheese icing or a coconut milk icing.  For the cake you can be a little naughty and add chocolate chips (which makes it not paleo :), or you could add walnut pieces and raisins, or mashed banana and pecan pieces...experiment!  The base works well for a lot of different variations.

Here is the recipe for the cake in the picture:

* 2  1/2 cups almond flour
* 1/2 cup flax meal
* 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
* 1/4 cup raw unpasteurised honey
* 3 eggs
* 2 tsp vanilla
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp baking soda
* 2 tsp stevia (if I use chocolate chips, I only add 1 tsp since the chips make it really sweet already)
* 1 cup semi sweet or dark mini chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 325.
2. Grease a cake pan with coconut oil (or line cupcake pan with liners).
3. Mix all dry ingredients.
4. Whisk all wet ingredients in separate bowl.
5. Combine and stir with wooden spoon until just combined - don't over mix.
6. Empty batter into cake pan or cupcake liners.
7. Bake 25 mins for cake or until toothpick comes out clean and it's golden brown on the top (or a little less - 20-23 mins for cupcakes)
8. Remove from oven and let cool before removing from pan.  It's nice warm or I like to put it in the fridge for a few hours and serve cold either alone as narrow slices you can eat with your hands from a napkin for guests with a coffee, or at dinner parties I serve it with homemade banana soft serve icecream from the yonanas machine.




No comments:

Post a Comment