Wednesday 5 December 2012

Healthy Holiday Substitutions: "Candied Yams"

So I am playing grown up this year and hosting Christmas dinner for my in-laws.  I am excited to share the full menu with you beforehand to give you some ideas about how to make the usually extravagant (and food-coma inducing!) meal a little bit healthier.  I test drove this substitute for candied yams yesterday and I love it.  Not only does it taste fantastic, it literally took me 5 mins to prepare!  I will be hosting 11 hungry people so the recipe below will be a large portion - feel free to half it!

Ingredients:
3-4 medium sized yams
2 medium sized gala apples
3/4 can coconut milk
splash of organic pure vanilla extract
cinnamon
all-spice
salt/pepper
1/4 cup unpasteurised liquid honey (or you could prob use pure maple syrup too...)
1 cup whole pecans (more or less to your liking)
1/2 cup raisins (more or less to your liking)

Prep:
* Chop yams and apples into cubes and toss into the slow cooker.
* In a bowl, mix together the coconut milk, vanilla, some cinnamon, some all-spice,  a dash of salt and pepper and the honey.
* Pour the mixture over the yams and apples and slow cook on low for 6 hrs.
* Mix in the pecans and raisins about 15 mins before you serve to let the pecans soften a bit.

It also makes the house smell wonderful! This will be my stand in for the candied yams and also for the stuffing (we don't eat bread and I also gag when trying to stuff it inside the turkey!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment