Thursday 20 December 2012

Healthier Holiday Substitutions: Brussel Sprouts and Bacon

So this is what I am substituting for a some peoples traditional creamy green bean casserole with bread crumbs in my Christmas meal.  I often make this dish anyway and we really like it.  As with all of my recipes, it is easy! 

Ingredients:
Brussel Sprouts - chopped and kind of shredded apart with your fingers...
Bacon
Fresh ground pepper

When I do this on a regular night I only use 2 strips of bacon, but for 11 people I will probably use about 10 pieces of bacon.  Chop it up and fry it up in a pan.  Remove the bacon bits and set aside.  Pour out some, but not all, of the bacon grease.  Cook the chopped brussel sprouts in the bacon fat, when they are just about tender (don't overcook!) add the bacon bits back in and grind a bit of pepper in.  It's still quite rich and decadent tasting with the bacon - Enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment